Saturday, June 2, 2012

Clam Jam #21: EMI, You Go to Hell

Alright, hold the phone. This little clam is a little upset.

Here I am, on a lovely Saturday, trying to post up a simple clam jam to represent the crazy tazmanian wind storm of housecleaning that I'm about to stir up before leaping out to frolic in the concrete jungle.

What song is purely representative of said housecleaning party? The Buzzcocks' "Why Can't I Touch It." No doubt.

So off I went to find a youtube video, to share the music with the world, in an age where sharing is not a right or a privilege but a completely assumed and inherent part of life. Imagine my shock and dismay when I saw this:

GAH I can't even embed a code to the video. Screengrab:



EMI, you are the neanderthal of media, and like the neanderthals you should just lay down and die in a frigid ice age--coming from the cold, cold hearts of all of the potential fans you alienated with your inability to adapt to sociocultural paradigm shifts. Just die. Darwinianly.


Ok... mind fuck. Just tried to go to the EMI website to try and pull up some tidbits I could use as hate-ammo, but alas! This:



You have got to be kidding me. No way in hell am I entering that god forsaken website.

Now listen, I know that this whole fight-technological-progress-and-cling-to-old-intellectual-property-models-to-keep-making-money-in-the-same-way-we-always-have-despite-the-fact-that-the-way-people-consume-media-has-completely-changed-forever thing is an ethos shared by pretty much all major corporate powers.  They are big and unwieldy and bureaucracy-laden and well, even if a bunch of good people are trying to change the way things work from within, it's just not going to happen over night.

A) Allow me to please remind you that it is the year 2012.

B) I hope to god that in their stick with the status quo decision making process, they are at least talking about the fact that cordoning off media makes all of Gen Y hate their brands and their businesses a little bit more, every single time. Not wise, folks. Just not good business.

Ok done. Did that even make sense? I don't know, but I have some laundry to do.

Do youself a favor and go listen to the song on Spotify. For now, live version:



And fuck you I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment