Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Eat This Now, Thank Me Later

Since I work from home, I spend a large percentage of my time procrastinating by looking for things to eat on the internetz. I go the grocery store almost every day, as well, just to get out of the house. It's a good excuse to change out of sweatpants and into yoga pants (truly the tuxedo T-shirt of the lounge wear world). I discovered this recipe over at Stone Soup,a blog dedicated to 5-ingredient recipes. It's all in crazy metric measurements, though, so I've been playing with it a little bit to get the proportions just right. It is hands-down the most delicious thing ever to come out of my blender, requires about 4 minutes of effort, and uses only 3 ingredients. I can't stress this enough guys: go home and make this immediately. I realize it's cold and snowpocalyptic over on the east coast right now, so just crank up the heat, and eat some damn gelato.


what's left of the strawberry


Easy Fruit Gelato

Combine in a blender:
  • 16 oz. bag frozen fruit
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
Puree until smooth. Done.

Microwave the fruit for a minute before you add it to the blender to make it easier. Add a splash of orange juice if you're feeling adventurous. Stick the whole thing back in the freezer for about 2 hours, or until its reached your desired consistency. You can eat it immediately, if you like, but it'll be a little soft. Thus far I've made this with raspberries, strawberries, mangoes and pineapple. I've got plans for chocolate-banana and blueberry this week. My favorite is mango: it's super creamy and subtle, the most similar to American ice cream. Strawberry was also pretty spectacular. Raspberry was really brightly fruity. I loved it, but I have a special affinity for raspberry seeds that not everyone shares. The boys all really loved pineapple. As far as I can tell, you can do no wrong with this one.

3 comments:

  1. i want this. also :
    It's a good excuse to change out of sweatpants and into yoga pants (truly the tuxedo T-shirt of the lounge wear world).

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh snap, i got like 3 bags of fruit in my freezer right now, yo

    ReplyDelete