Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The Silver Lining

Alright, so I've been paying far too much attention to this nuclear disaster in Japan (which everyone should have expected of me by now), and perhaps my commentary has remained insensitive (as it is wont to do). I would just like to say that the following (awesome) information with its generally unapologetic tone is in no way reflective of my actual feelings towards the Japanese people or their horribly tragic situation.

After hours of reading the New York Times and watching CNN today, I finally laid eyes on what may be the most heart-wrenching footage to come out of this entire disaster. Well, actually I only saw the teaser to the heart wrenching footage, which shows, Anderson Cooper explained, one injured dog unwilling to leave another injured dog behind amidst the rubble of the tsunami. This was said over a brief clip of the able-to-walk dog looking frantically back and forth between rescue crews and the shivering, immobilized dog in said story. And seriously, I almost shed a tear over 1.5 seconds of film.

And then I remembered Homeward Bound, one of the least mentioned gems of the 90s. This is the silver lining of watching two injured dogs whimper to each other: remembering Homeward Bound exists. That's it. That's all there is. Consider this trailer the one salvaged treat from the scrap heap, and (however begrudgingly) thank me.



Also, I'm pretty sure my kids are going to watch this trailer and find it odd in the same way I find the Deliverance trailer odd. How can a couple years make movies so different?

No comments:

Post a Comment