Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Epic Saturday: Part 2

So, uh, this took me a while.  Get over it.

After all the daytime shenanigans, we were pretty pooped.  Realizing the show must go on, or that we must go on with the never ending show, it was back on the streetz for some more crazy art fun time.  Bonus points -- there's a playground at the end.

 Wait, wait, wait holy shit I just remembered an amazing part of phase one that can not go unrecognized!! You're psyched, right?  Check it:


That is bona fide baby scented air freshener.  I bet it smells like pampers and wide-eyed wonder. I also bet at least 18 babies had to die to make this one can.  The guy behind the counter wouldn't sell it to me -- too precious, to be sure -- but he did spray it on his finger and smell it for me, which is clearly the best of all awkward consolations possible.

Ok, onto the night!

Seeing as Nuit Blanche is a giant, international homage to the night and things that glow in it, we clearly had to wear blinking necklaces and party rats. This in and of itself is a highlight. A highlight that happens constantly throughout life. So get used to it.

While Greenpoint's (and NYC's) first foray into the celebration wasn't as intense as what the kids are doing over there in Europe, it was still a pretty good time, and I got all googly-eyed at least twice. Like when I saw  Light Harvest's giant projection wall. I have a video, but it kind of sucks, because I couldn't whip out my camera in time to catch the amazing optical illusion of a bird trapped in a cage. I guess you'll just have to spend the next 4 seconds wondering and wishing you were there. Here's what I did catch:


Also of note is the fact that this whole thing was put together in three days, according to the guy manning the projector that I spent at least eight minutes tracking down.  It was about twenty minutes of looped footage, all perfectly aligned to make the building fuck with your mind.


We also found these giant poky things! Made by Norman Mooney:



And another optical illusion!


Another huge highlight here was when Ian tried to be as awesome as me, like this:


But then got told by some random Asian dude that his fly was actually down.  Then he looked like this:


And the one thing I don't have any pictures of, because no shoes or bags were allowed inside (special thanks to Ian for holding all our stuff): A giant bouncy, gymnastics gym for adults!  Yes!  I played on a trampoline, balance beam and parallel bars with about 40 other wide-eyed big kids whose minds were collectively blown. And it turns out this place throws monthly parties, so it's time to mark your calendar and find a sweet new set of neon sweatbands

Finally, I'm not quite sure what this is, but I definitely know it's a highlight.


Oh and I also found a few holes,



 That second one is pretty incredible, no?  I was tempted to go to the open house just to pay my compliments.

No comments:

Post a Comment