Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Re:form School

This Saturday, Redu had a pop-up art show in NYC to raise awareness about how god awful the school system is in the U.S.  It was called Re:form School, and it was pretty damn great.

Over 150 artists participated, and I didn't take the time to learn a single one of their names.  This was partially because it was my birthday, a time when my brain totally shuts down to all information aside from the names of exotic new shots I can get people to buy me, and partially because I went to a god awful U.S. school, and therefore don't learn too good.

At least I managed to take pictures...

First of all, there was this giant clam painting.  It's a clam using a computer.  I like to think he's working on this blog.



There was also a pretty sweet bus made from reclaimed materials taken out of an old school. You can also watch a video of it being made, and hear the artist get all deep and shit. (Oh, hey, his name's Eric Otto! Education system win!)


For those of you who like infographics, this one is a littel surprising. California and New York have only 50-66 percent of high school students graduating? Maybe we should stop talking so much smack about the south...


Um, this next one was neon shapes.  That's about all I got. (Neon shapes followed by two more pictures I have nothing to say about except a plebeian, "cool.")



This amazing 15-foot plus mural was made of kids' cut up school work.  You can see some unused pages on the floor. 


This was pretty crazy too, especially considering it was part of a 30 second time stop animation made entirely of moving thumb tacks.  This is only two panels of a board that spanned the room.  It also defines "tedious."


Ok, now go build a new school or something!




1 comment:

  1. I like the neon shapes the bestest. Can you make a post about birthday night time shenanigans? Or at least about the princess card? O:)

    ReplyDelete